Mike Pence has promised to “reboot” the U.S. government if elected president, but his administration has been unable to deliver.
On Wednesday, the Trump administration announced that the federal government would begin “reclassifying” transgender people to the gender listed on their birth certificates.
That means the Trump Administration will no longer legally recognize transgender people as a protected class.
But that doesn’t mean Pence is giving up on his plan to take this step.
“It’s time to end the federal funding of gender reassignment surgery,” Pence said in a statement.
“Transgender people are Americans, and we will protect them and their families.”
But the fact that this policy has not yet been implemented and the fact it has been delayed in the face of mounting legal challenges means it is unlikely that this initiative will be a reality.
“The Trump Administration is taking action to change the rules on gender reassignement surgery, but it has yet to enact legislation that will end discrimination against transgender people,” Mara Keisling, policy director at the Human Rights Campaign, said in an emailed statement.
The Trump Administration has not taken a firm stance on transgender rights.
But Trump has pledged to “take on the world’s biggest bullies” by fighting against global climate change and fighting Islamic terrorism.
Pence’s policy has also been delayed by the Trump DOJ’s “Bannon Memo,” which states that transgender people should not be protected by federal laws.
According to a June memo, the Department of Justice will not be able to implement Trump’s proposed rule barring discrimination against trans people based on their gender identity, gender expression, or gender expression that does not match the gender assigned to them at birth.
That memo also outlines how the administration plans to “implement the Trump’s Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, which would allow people who were brought to the United States as children to stay in the country.”
Pence’s administration has also not fully addressed the concerns of trans students, including the transgender students at his private Christian school.
Last month, the Human Relations Commission of Indiana announced that it would be “actively investigating” the safety of transgender students and students at the school, saying that “the school is currently facing multiple reports of harassment, bullying, and other threats.”
The commission is currently reviewing a complaint filed by a transgender student at the private school, but Pence has not announced whether he will sign off on the investigation.
According “multiple reports” to the commission, the school “has been a hotbed for sexual harassment and discrimination against LGBTQ students.”
The Human Rights Commission has also found that “LGBTQ students are routinely and disproportionately targeted in harassment and violence,” and that “discrimination against transgender individuals and their allies is not tolerated.”
This week, Pence also announced that he is also seeking a federal judge to “pursue a lawsuit on behalf of the state of Indiana to halt the implementation of a law that requires students to use restrooms, locker rooms, and changing facilities that match their biological sex.”
Indiana’s law, which was passed in 2016, was challenged by the American Civil Liberties Union, which said it “violates the core tenets of our Constitution and violates Indiana’s most basic human rights.”
According to the Indiana ACLU, “The law’s vague language creates a false sense of security for transgender students, who are in danger of losing their protections under the law.”
According the Indiana Department of Public Safety, “there are no reports of any injuries to trans students at Indiana schools.
We are reviewing the case and will provide further updates.”
The American Civil Rights Union has also criticized the law, calling it “a sweeping, unconstitutional discrimination against LGBT Indiana residents.”
A federal judge is expected to rule on the case by June 10.